Monday, August 24, 2009

SUFFERING


I love this kid. I mean, I love all my kids.....but Mason just has a way of melting my heart. He is such a thinker. He is deep. He is sensitive. He is sweet and kind.

I made the boys clean the basement the other day. If you asked them it took 8 hours. If you asked me I'd tell you there was 1 hour of cleaning (in 5 minute increments) and 7 hours of playing. But regardless, they were not very happy with me. I tried to get them to understand that I didn't play with the toys in the basement. That I didn't dump out EVERY bucket when my mom has instructed me to only get 2 buckets out at a time.....so why should I have to clean it up? They didn't get my logic. I was still incredibly mean.

When they were finished I was making dinner when Mason walks over to me with a little tile off the bookshelf. It read, "In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is meant to be enjoyed, not just endured." ~Gordon B. Hinckley

He holds up the tile to me, pointing at the word endured and says, "Mom today was all about this word."

I smiled and said, "Mason, what does that word even mean?"

He says, "Um...endured means like working really hard and not quitting.....(pause).....but basically it just means suffering."

See what I mean. I can't get enough!

13 comments:

Ashley said...

Some kids just come down knowing don't they. I think I love your Mason too!

Carly Knibbe said...

Gosh that boy is so smart!! What in the world I probably didn't know what endured meant two years ago! haha

Mike and Chelsi said...

ha ha that is so cute what a little genius! oh and don't worry he didn't speed, and the napkin only lasted a little while! and i know my car seat cover rocks maybe cause car and your mom are awesome!!!

Mr. Haycock, Sir said...

Mason is a smart one. Of course, don't measure smartness based on Carly, who thought Alaska and Hawaii were physically close to each other(while not being able to explain how one is a tropic area and the other is an arctic area) because that's how they are shown on maps. Mason says the most amazing things. I love Mason.

Courtney Sargent said...

Way too smart! Love It!

Carly Knibbe said...

dad shush it!

Anonymous said...

Hey Chiara,
I am behind on keeping updated on blogs. Loved reading this post. Hope you are doing well.

Tiffany W. said...

oh my! I have that EXACT same fight with Connor EVERY day! (I don't make the mess, why should I have to clean it up?) And the exact same thing happens... for every minute of picking up he does... there are 59 minutes of play. Yet it is still torture?! Go figure?

WRYUN said...

WOW! Who are his primary teachers?! LOL (jk)

What a good kid! (c;

-Ry

Caddy Haycock said...

Maso is going to go places in life with that brain. He's already so smart and the best part is that he LOVES learning..love that kid.

marvalyn said...

That Mason is soooooo Smart and sooooo Cute! We all love that first Son of yours....and that second Son of yours and that third Son of yours and that First litle girl! Love her, too! Missed you ALOT!

THE WITHERS FAMILY said...

Adorable!

I had to read this post to Chad, because he thinks our children are the only ones who don't want to clean up their playroom and who don't listen, and who play rather than clean.

Thank you for giving me this opportunity to teach my husband. ;)

Cambry said...

What a dear little man.