Monday, December 1, 2008

I'll take a cookie AND a medal please!!

Have I ever mentioned how much I love my Mason? Well, I do. As a previous post mentioned...Mason is officially in Scouts and he couldn't be more excited if he tried. In preparation for his first PACK MEETING we went and bought him his uniform. Thankgoodness for cute little old ladies that LOVE scouts and were able to tell me everything I needed because I had no clue! As always, when something comes up that needs sewing I take it to my dear mother to do. However, I wasn't going to be able to get to my moms before Pack Meeting....which meant one thing....I was going to have to pull out my own (brand new) sewing machine that my mom bought me a few years ago (why would she do such a thing?!?) and sew on these stinkin patches myself!! I was sooooo tempted to call my friend Somer who is a professional sewer in every sense of the word, but I somehow felt inspired to take on this project myself.

It MAY have taken me a good hour to set the darn thing up and thread the machine all while reading the step by step instructions out of my handy dandy manuel. I even filled a bobin!! I was ready to go and I was feeling quite pleased with myself. I'm half way around the first badge when Mason comes over to take a look and we have the following conversation:

"Wow mom, that is really good!" (he thinks I'm a good cook too....which is maybe why I love him so much...because I'm not good at either)

"Thanks buddy."

"Some of my friends moms have sewn their patches on with the same color thread that matches the patch and I think that looks really cool....BUT, just the white thread that you are using looks good too."

Oh my gosh...could he be any cuter? I mean seriously...he is the sweetest boy on this planet. But OUCH! Stab to the heart. I can't disappoint my son. I will not allow him to have "GOOD" while his friends have "COOL."

So...I unpick that first patch, call all 10 of my neighbors to see if anyone has red, purple and black thread. Finally find some purple and black. So I get back to work. The black patch and purple patch turn out quit lovely if you ask me. Now onto the red numbers. Still didn't have any red thread so I figured the white would have to work until Grandma Jo could come to the rescue and re-do it. I sew around all 4 of those little numbers as steady as I can....and then...finally....wahhhh lahhhh - my masterpiece is finished. I couldn't have been more proud!

Patch #1


Patch #2


Patch #3


I get the boys all dressed and ready to go to Pack Meeting. Do a quick little photo shoot and then wake up Bill from his cat nap right before he are heading out the door. I proudly show Bill how sweet my sewing job went (he told me I should just HOT GLUE the patches on!!) He was very kind and told me I did a fabulous job....HOWEVER...."the numbers are on the wrong sleeve." WHAT?!?! There is no possible way!! I swear that stupid little diagram of the shirt showed the numbers on THIS sleeve. I wanted to cry. My bragging rights were dashed and all thoughts of being "super mom" went flying out the window. (one day...in my next life...I'll be as good of a mom as my friend Somer....http://rainydaywren.blogspot.com/)

Macks wasn't too happy to be in the picture....or maybe it was because his brother behind him with the "you WILL stay RIGHT here" look on his face was choking him by pulling the hood on his shirt?!?! You be the judge....


So off we went out the door...with my tears about ready to surface. My "cool" son has his troop number sewn on the wrong sleeve. RATS!! On our walk to the church we see Mason's friend Jaren and the following conversation takes place:

Madden: "Hey Jaren, guess what?? My mom sewed Mason's numbers on the wrong sleeve. (while laughing)

Mason: "It's okay Madden, you don't have to tell everyone. It's just fine."

I tried to make myself laugh so I didn't cry....giving Bill sad looks while he puts his arm around me and laughs himself. Oh...and to top the evening off....I guess that little gold thingy in the bag from the store was supposed to be the "slide" for his bandana thingy....I shouldn't have knotted it. One day I'll have all this scouting stuff down...I DO have THREE sons.



At the end of the day...even after all the disappointments and setbacks....I was still quite pleased with my sewing skills....and if someone were to ask me if I wanted a cookie or a medal for my achievement...I would reply like I always do...I'LL TAKE BOTH PLEASE!! :)-

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should feel very proud that you even figured it out at all, if I ever had to sew something for Brooklynn and I couldn't get to my mom.....Bobby would probably have better luck with his sewing skills he learned in the Marines!

colterhaycock said...

Haha - good times. Scouts is lame anyway. The only fun part is using knives and shooting stuff... well I guess the campouts are awesome but all the stupid packmeets are lame. I guess the raingutter rigatta and the cars and all that is fun too. Haha - so apparently there's a lot more fun to scouting than I thought.

Carly Knibbe said...

I don't know how you got such a sweet little Mason and then Madden. haha But Mason is seriously the sweetest little kid in the world. I love that whole story! And heck im proud of you....I would never know how to sew patches on for the life of me!

Kristie said...

HaHa!! You are a better woman than me!! I always take my sewing projects to Chris's mom. I wouldn't have even attempted it like you did! You seriously deserve something better than a cookie! I'm impressed...even if you did put it on the wrong sleeve:)

Somer said...

Ok, I have to get down from that pedestal before I fall! Just ask Ella, she'll tel you I'm the worst mom ever. I think you did a great job. I wouldn't know a scout patch from an eye patch (I guess I'll learn now that I have Jack.) So yay for Chiara! I think you deserve a cookie and a medal.

Aislinn said...

you deserve a whole PLATE of cookies. Good job sewing! Hot Glue Bill??????? lol.

Tiffany W. said...

I probably WOULD have hot glued them on...and then when I found out they were on the wrong sleeve...I would have been screwed! So I will keep that as a mental note...never hot glue. Guess there is always Duct tape!? ;)

Tiffany W. said...

P.S. tell your friend, Somer, thanks...I got some great new recipes to try out from looking at her site! :)

Bill said...

Okay - the hot glue is a temporary fix until the mom has a chance to fasten them properly. I remember 1/2 my scouting buddies having them hot glued on over and over because their mom never got around to actually sewing them.

Jenn said...

OK so you are STILL better than I am. Did you notice at Den Meeting that Parker doesn't even have his numbers on his shirt yet? Think there is a reason? LOL
You Rock!!!

rob and tal thompson said...

you are such a cute mom-
i gave my sewing machine to d.i.-
didn't think i would ever need it-
should have saved it for my future cub scout- but maybe i will go with the hot glue.
so i made your lacy cookies last night- the best ever. i was laughing thinking about some funny snowview stuff.
our new dog is so fun-but every once in a while i will start to panic about the 10yr or more dog commitment. her name is shy and she is so good with the kids. and so far no poop in the house!!!!

i suck a blogging- my page is so lame.
missin you
tal

MF said...

Bill was a scouting machine.
And, good job on the sewing. It takes guts.
Yes, Mason is good. Madden is too, just in different ways.
Carly said something about how you got one like Mason and then like Madden...I bet that's what your mom was thinking when she had Colter then Carly. :)

Chiara said...

Nah Mike....that is what my mom was thinking when she had me...then Carson!! ;)- hahah! My Madden is his Uncle Carson to a "T" Love him to death...he's just his very own unique self!

Isaac's said...

Boys boys boys.. Chiara.. I am truly scared to have boys.. I am soooo used to girls. If I have them will you give me some tips? You seem to be doing great!!!

btw.. it was soo nice seeing you the other night at Twilight. You looked amazing. We need to get together soon...
xoxo
sie

Cambry said...

What a dear, dear soul that Mason is.

THE WITHERS FAMILY said...

Don't you worry. I think you did a fabulous job. And anytime my kids clothes need a stitching, I'll send 'em your way. That way your sewing machine can get more use! =)
By the way, is it too late to put in a request for my kids Christmas pajamas? =)

OlmsteadFam said...

You did a great job Chiara! I can't wait for our guy to jump into Scouting!!

Caddy Haycock said...

War I'm proud! And Mason is just the sweetest little thing!