Wednesday, February 25, 2009

THE GREAT NAME DEBATE

Most of you know we really struggled with a name for our little girl. I have to document the drama and the logic that went into her name. The name for our first daughter has always been MYLEE. We are talking like 11 years ago, when we were just engaged type of time frame. Then we get three boys before our girl. And low and behold that d@mn Miley Cyrus has to be the teen pop star right now and as much as I tried to convince myself that I could still use the name...and that Miley Cyrus wouldn't be popluar forever...I just couldn't do it. No one should name their little girl after a teen pop star. It should be illegal.

The next name in the running was MARLEY. Anyone that went to Sunset High School during the years Bill and I did might have an idea of why Bill likes this name! :)- A girl named Marley just might have been the "hottest" cheerleader at our school. And to help with Bills case, our boys struggle with saying their "R's," so hearing them say Mawley is just way too cute. I had nothing against the name, but I just didn't like how popular it has become recently...especially with the movie "Marley & Me"....and of course Marley has to be the dog. Real great!

My choice was MABLE. Loved it! I can still remember the day I came home and told Bill the name. Our conversation went like this:

Chiara: Okay, I have a name for you to think about. I absolutely love it!! It means loveable. It is a family name and I really really like it. I don't want an answer right now. I want you to think about it and give me an answer in a few days....okay? The name is Mable.

Bill: SILENCE....then literally 2 minutes later....Nope! No way! Never going to happen. Sorry, but I've thought about it as long as I'm going to. It sounds like a cartoon cows name. My daughter will not have that name. We don't need to talk about it any further.

So much for my "think about it and give me an answer in a few DAYS" instruction. I held out hope, continued to bring it up, hope he'd change his mind once she was born. But no. The cartoon cow just wouldn't leave his mind. (If anyone really knows if a cartoon character cow named Mable really exists...please share!) Even in the delivery room he's talking to my Dr about it and says, "I mean...I could see it being kind of cute for a baby, and for a grandma....but what about ALL those years inbetween?!?!"

Needless to say....the decision was hard. A teen pop star, a hot cheerleader/dog, or a cartoon cow?!?! Wow!! :) The name Marley totally fits her and we love it!! Now I just need to find a way to stop Bill from calling her "Buster!!" I tell him he needs to use words like sweetheart, or princess, or something a little more girly sounding than BUSTER?!?!?

13 comments:

Carly Knibbe said...

first off oh my gosh i love her and she is thee cutest thing in the world! so if she goes missing this weekend i might have accidentally taken her back to st. george with me. and second i completely agree with bill on the cow name. thats what popped into my head too. but marley is so cute and i love it! only tomorrow and then i get to see her friday!!! ps. why is the picture taken in the car???

Tiffany W. said...

This post totally made me laugh! I love the name Marley. It is very cute. And Buster just makes me laugh. You totally have to keep that nick name around! I have not heard a middle name yet, does she have one?

mIcHeLLe said...

yeah, Juice still calls Chloe "Duck Head"....

Carroll Conversations said...

I'm sorry Chiara, but I busted up right out loud when I read the name Mable. The first thought I had, was that is definitely a cow's name, or a great grandma's name. Then to continue to read that Bill feels the same way. I'd have to say I agree with him on this one. Thanks for the laugh though. I think Marley is an adorable name. Well done! She's beautiful! And thanks for the laugh today. =)

PS. Here's a few links for Mable the cow. Here we have Mable the Cow Dishtowels--http://www.knittingknonsense.com/mabelcow.html
Or how about an ornament, it is popular and currently sold out--http://www.simplybovine.com/products/mablecowornament.php
And finally the actual Mable cow--http://video.aol.com/video-detail/meet-mable/750376376

Enjoy!

theolsonfamily said...

She is so cute I can't take it! i need her right now! those cheeks are the best!!

Somer said...

Evan has a tendency to call the girls "buddy."

Marley is beautiful!

The Holverson Family said...

I think her name is so cute! I am glad to finally hear about all the names that you struggled with! So Funny! She is beautiful!

Erin said...

I LOVE the name Marley, and I love the story behind the name too. She was kind of a hottie, but your Marley will be so much cuter and so much less snotty.

mle said...

I love, love, love those cheeks. I wish I could come over and kiss them right now-dang it! And what a crack up about the name, I love old fashion names-and I love Mable-Bill! But I really do think she looks like a Marley May-what a sweetie she is. Do you just love dressing her everyday? Let us know when you bless her and maybe we will have to make a quick trip down there for it. Congrats-you have one beautiful family-that we miss so much. xoxoxoxox

Leavitt's said...

Thank goodness you went with Marley, with the big brown eyes in your family, she would have been teased to death as Mable the Cow. Love the name story and your anniversary story. Good to know where I can keep tabs on you now! Your favorite sup ever~Karen

Anonymous said...

Great story!! She is such a cutie! Bobby and I want to come visit you guys when everything settles down, so let me know when a good time would be. Hope all is well!

Jenn said...

LOL, Chiara - your blog posts always crack me up! MILEY was the name we had on the top of our list for our little girl too and then came Miley Cyrus - SOOO with you there.
I LOVE Marley - and how fitting that it is "kind of" after the HOT CHICK - she is totally cute!

Tim said...

I think it's funny that you have to explain all of your kids' names...