Thursday, March 11, 2010

One Year...

It's been 1 year today. One whole long/short year.
Crazy how that works......
how one day is seems like it was just yesterday that our world
came crashing down....
and the next day it seems like he's been gone forever.

It's been a year of reflection.....
A year of taking 2 steps forward and 3 steps backwards.
A year of digging deep and figuring out
what I really believe.....and why.
A year of learning how to cope with a huge hole in my heart.
A year of learning that as hard as I try....
and as much as I want answers....I'm not going to get them.
I have to let go of that yearning....and that is hard for me.
A year of trying to be a voice....
and letting people know that depression is real.
I wish I could MAKE people get help.That would be really nice.
I like making people do things! (Just ask Bill.)

A year of learning how to cope with guilt. (hate that word.)
Guilt that I didn't do more when he was here.
Guilt that I couldn't stop him.
Guilt when a day goes by that I don't think of him.
Guilt when some days he consumes my every thought.
Guilt when I can't remember little things about him....
about growing up with him....
Why wasn't our whole life recorded so I could sit back,
and watch, and remember?


My heart aches for him.
One can only imagine the pain he must have been feeling inside.
I hope he has found the peace and solace he was looking for.
I hope it all makes sense to him now.
While talking to a dear friend last night she got me thinking.....
maybe....just maybe....part of his "punishment"
is watching and feeling the pain that he's caused
to those of us still here.
And the longer I hold on to the guilt, and the sadness,
and the anger..... and all the negative.....
The more I'm holding him back.
The more difficult I am making his progression become.

So today is the beginning of a new chapter for me.
I'm letting go....of the negative.
I'm living life like I know Cody would want me to live.
A little more kind, a little more generous, and a little more happy.

My boys still talk about him all the time.
Especially Madden.
The tears flow easily for that kid.
He has such a soft heart.
(although I do have to mention...
that his "reflection" moments ALWAYS come at bedtime...
making me think he's just trying to prolong the inevitable....)

Regardless , he misses his Uncle
and loves any chance he can get to talk about him.
He is very hung up on the fact that
he "didn't know he was going to die".....
and wants so badly to be able to say good-bye to him.

Mason is a deep thinker.....but rarely ever cries.
He'll throw out a question or a statement every now and then
about Cody's death, and it catches me off guard.
He gets it. All of it. I worry about him sometimes.
He's so much like his Uncle Cody....
very hard on himself and very analytical.
But also extremely kindhearted, thoughtful, and caring.


And Macks....funny Macks.
He'll bring up "Coco up" (as in Cody's up in heaven)
at the most random of times.
After repeating "Coco up" thirteen times,
he follows with a sad face and fake sniffles.
Then runs to grab a box of tissues to hand out.
That was his job the week following Cody's death.
He didn't get it.....but he put on a sad face like the rest of us....
and handed out tissues.

Miss Marley will never know her Uncle Cody.
That makes me sad. He never held her.
I tried to make him one day....and he replied,
"Nah, I'll hold her when she gets a little bigger."
She was only 3 weeks old when he left us.
Every now and then we see him in her.
It brought my cousin to tears the other day when he saw Marley....
"Oh my gosh....she looks so much like Cody!" he said.
I smiled. I like that thought.

Last by not least, I'd like to thank everyone for their prayers, their thoughts, and their support over the past year. My heart is full of gratitude for the wonderful friends and family I've been blessed with. I am in awe of the amount of people who offered to do ANYTHING during those first few weeks....and although I didn't take any of you up on it....I knew without question that all I'd have to do is ask and you'd be there.....so thank you.
Hugs and kisses to you all!

11 comments:

Tiffany W. said...

I have often felt helpless watching you experience pain and knowing there is nothing I can do to ease it. I have been thinking of you and Cody a lot these last few weeks. And the memory came to me of when Cody drove me to the hospital after I found out Howard was in a coma. He offered to drive me knowing I was a mess and that my parents were already there. He drove like a bat out of hell to get me there. I had no doubt how much Cody cared at that moment. Cody was good at showing how he felt in his own special "Cody way"... without all the "fru-frah". :) I hope you know how much I care and love you (and Cody and your whole family) in my own special way. Cuz I'm loving you the best way I know how! XOXO.

Ashley said...

Thanks for sharing, and letting us be apart of this journey for you and the family. Love you!

Jen said...

Well, You passed all the firsts... I think that was the hardest for our family... First Christmas without... First Birthday without...First, First, First... So glad that year is over.

I have loved all of your posts about your brother over the last year, I feel the same about many things that you expressed.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts... It has helped me.
Make today about good memories!

Cooper Family said...

We love you!

mIcHeLLe said...

I am so sorry Chiara. I can't even imagine...
I really like the idea of starting today changing the way you go about life...I am sure it is so hard...but such a tribute to Cody's life.
hugs.
Michelle

Katie said...

You're such a family gal and how great is that?! Thanks for spreading the love and understanding. I'm so glad that you and your fam are slowly gaining peace :)

Jill said...

I can't imagine going through that. There are 3 of us in my family who have various levels of depression, myself included. I've really enjoyed all your posts about your brother, and can feel your sadness through them, but I can also see the love and happiness you have for him. Good Luck with this year, I know it will be a great tribute to your brother!

Lindsey Anderson said...

We love you guys and are thinking of you!

Sage Pierce said...

We love you guys all so much. I know Cody does too.

Kristin and Bridger said...

Your posts about your sweet brother always make me bawl...I should probably stop reading them at work. You are so strong and such an inspiration to me. I'm so sorry you are all going through this, wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy. We love you guys and will continue to keep you in our prayers.

Lindsay Conover said...

Chiara- you trully are an amazing writer... what a gift you have been given. Thank you for letting me remember Cody, and remebering what a gentle person he was. You are a rock, and in inspiration to so many. I only wish I could be there to wrap my arms around you... love you so much!