Monday, October 18, 2010

I AM my mother's daughter.....


I am nominating myself for Mother of the year award...

Miss Marley fell down the stairs.
(Well....we really think Macks pushed her,
but because no one actually witnessed the accident
we won't place blame.....)

She broke her wrist.
Both bones.
Completely snapped in two.
NINE days ago....
And I took her to the doctors LAST NIGHT.
If they don't call social services on me
I will be pleasently surprised!

The "swelling" never went down....
so I finally took her in.
In the waiting room she was running around
like a wild woman, climbing on every chair,
spreading her arms and legs out and yelling,
"MY'SSSS" (mine)
then standing up and jumping off.
She was crawling on all fours with a book in her mouth,
just like a cute puppy....
When the nurse came out and called her name
she bolted into the hallway and slid
(think baseball player sliding into second base)
on the tile flooring to escape my grasp.

The nurse kindly asked,
"and you think she broke her arm?"

"NO - there is no way she broke it....
it's got to be just sprained....
she totally uses it....
but the swelling hasn't gone down
and it is super hard...not soft....
so I just decided to bring her in to make
sure...."

"And this happened when?"

"Oh, nine days ago...."

I'll spare you the rest of the details....
Humilitating to say the least....
The "swelling" wasn't swelling.
It was BONE protruding upwards...
She was happy as can be the whole time....
Came home patting her Snoopy sling
telling her brothers...."my'ssss."

In my defense:
It happened under Bill's watch. (kidding)
She cried for maybe a few minutes and then
has used her arm perfectly ever since.
It was instantly quite swollen....
so I was sure it was just sprained.
A few times a day she would "re-hurt" it....
give me a sad face, her famous dramatic whine...
and ask me to kiss it better.
Once it was kissed....
off she went to get in to more trouble.


I'm not a freaker outter....
When my kids get hurt I give them 1 minute
to cry and whine...
and then unless I see blood or bones
they have to buck-up and stop!
Call me mean...but I learned it from MY mother....

Being a mother of EIGHT children couldn't have been easy.
My mom was as close to perfect as any mother could be.
But there WAS one thing some could say she lacked.....
and that was "compassion."
That sounds bad, but let me explain.
My mother has this "calmness" about her during
any traumatic experience.
I never once saw her freak out or act panicked
when one of her children were hurt.
We often had to wait until she was done
nursing "the baby," or cleaning the house,
or talking on the phone,
to be taken to the doctors....
even if bone was sticking out of our skin....
or if skin was hanging off our arm from a burn.
Infact, I remember our family pediatrician telling
at least 2 of my siblings to just call him directly
next time we get hurt!
Therefore, my insensitivity is inherited...
and not my fault... ;)-

We get to go to a Pediatric Orthopedic surgeon tomorrow.
I've been told that more than likely they will have to put her out,
rebreak her wrist, and then cast it.
I'd give anything to trade her places.
Afterall, I AM the horrible mom that let her go 9 days with 2 broken bones....


But for reals....be honest....
have you ever seen a cuter thing in a Snoopy sling...
sleeping with her legs all crossed ACTING lady like?
I think not.

11 comments:

Cailey & Brady said...

You are terrible. But I LOVE this munchkin and she wears the snoopy sling very nicely:)

Lloyd said...

Chiara I am a lot like you, and my philosophy is almost identical... it just doesn't work so well in a house of girls!!!!

Sorry you had to go through that, but c'mon she was using it!?!?!?!? How are you supposed to know? Ya know?

Jill said...

Oh, how sad! You really aren't a horrible mother!! A perfectly normal mommy, going about her business! I would've done the same thing if it were Spencer and he was using it without complaint....Luckily, they'll get it set back in place, and she won't even know what's going on! Good Luck...

Tiffany W. said...

Ouch! Poor thing! She IS awfully cute in that sling! What a trooper.

I will be keeping you both in my prayers... pretty sure tomorrow is going to be more tramatic for you than for her! :(

Love you both!

Elizabeth said...

My brother broke his arm and it was days until my mom took him to the dr. I think when you have so many kids you just relax. Sometimes maybe too much. :) Didn't Cody have a stick in his head once?!

Tiffany W. said...

Oh, and just to set the record straight... you never slide into first. You run through it! You can slide into any of the other bases though. come one Chiara, you are making us mother's of three boys look bad!! you should know this stuff! ;)-

Chiara said...

Geez...is that better? Get off my back would ya? I don't actually WATCH my kids play sports....do you? ;)-

Holbrook Family said...

I love it - I have little to no compassion when my kids get hurt. It has to be a fair amount of blood...

colterhaycock said...

Did she break both bones in her arms, or two bones in her wrist? The wrist has 8 bones... I'm assuming it was her arm...

Leavitt's said...

Oh my, what to do with you? Just be careful craving your pumpkins, keep all fingers, toes and legs attached. :) Love your MOM stories, been there done that.

Carroll Conversations said...

I'm so sorry she broke her arm, but this is so adorable to see her in a little sling. Just precious.