It conveyed my feelings so perfectly......
I had to share.
Here is the link so I can give credit where credit is due
Lately, our mantra has been “Do Hard Things”. When one of the kids doesn’t want to practice their piano or feels defeated after an inferior performance at baseball practice we chat after the importance of digging in our heels and doing hard things. Together we recognize that it is easy to be mediocre at something, hard to be good at an activity, and painstakingly difficult to be great. We take comfort in the concept that greatness is not born, but made. Typically, I stand on the sidelines and act as a cheerleader as my children attempt new feats and learn new skills--taking a first step, swimming across the pool, reading a whole page in the bible, writing a paper, making a goal in soccer, snowboarding for the first time, doing a new trick on their bike, learning to ride a ripstick, etc........
The other day I caught myself wondering- what hard things was I engaged in ? What difficult skills was I working on mastering? Then it hit me..........
MOTHERHOOD IS A HARD THING.
I don’t remember anyone saying it to me that bluntly.
Perhaps, to some it may seem that I am belittling the role or the blessings of motherhood by describing it as HARD. But I disagree. I think that there is power in such a proclamation. I even think that when you recognize and admit that you are embarking on such a challenge then you are able to reach deeper and claim untapped resources.
Motherhood is hard. Having children is hard. It is hard to be sick and pregnant. It is hard to be consistent. It is hard to run a home. It is hard to be excited about following through on consequences. It is hard to ignore all the pressing responsibilities of the world and read to your baby. It is hard to be told (AGAIN) that you are a mean mom and have the dignity to smile with patience. It is hard to teach your children to work amidst moans and groans. It is hard to watch children chose to not reach their potential that day. It is agonizing to watch your child hurt. It is hard to have health issues, but even harder to watch your children suffer through them. It is hard to be the kind of mom you know you want to be every hour of everyday. It is hard to remember to bask in the moments when the moments are filled with noise and unmet expectations.
I am not a pessimist. Rather I have been characterized as an unfailing optimistic (often to my detriment). Thus, I don’t believe that admitting that motherhood is REALLY HARD sheds any negative light on the role or the call. Rather I believe it is an empowering call to action. Hard does not mean bad or wrong or unfulfilling. Hard means blood, sweat, tears, and sacrifice for greatness. And in the hardness there is joy--intense, overwhelming joy. It is the joy of a little face whose smile lights up the room when you walk in. It is the joy of looking in on your sleeping child and realizing that they are truly heaven sent. It is the joy of a handmade valentine and a carefully picked dandelion just for you. It is the joy of listening to them thank God for YOU during their nighttime prayers.
I am grateful that I get to do this HARD THING.
1 comment:
Love this! I agree. Saying its hard doesn't mean that we don't want to do it or that we are sorry we took it on. Often the hard things in life are the best. WE CAN DO HARD THINGS!!
Post a Comment