Friday morning while getting ready for school:
"Mason, be sure to turn in your read-a-thon envelope
to your teacher as soon as you get into class."
Friday morning while dropping off kids at school....yelling out the window:
"Mason...what is the FIRST thing you are going to do when
"Mason...what is the FIRST thing you are going to do when
you get into class?"
"Duh Mom, I know....turn in my read-a-thon envelope!"
Two days later....Sunday night....
getting back packs ready for school the next morning:
"MASON!!! What in the world is this?"
"Ummm....my read-a-thon envelope...."
"Are you freaking kidding me?
(yes, I use that word...don't judge)
I seriously cannot believe you didn't get it turned in.
I reminded you about it at least a hundred times on Friday morning.
(So I maybe exaggerate a little bit too...)
Too bad for you.....
You read so much and I can almost guaranty
that you would have won a prize....
But not now. It had to be turned in on Friday.
Your school said that it would NOT accept any on Monday.
I am so disappointed in you!!
When are you going to learn
to be more resposible......"
(For my sake I'll stop there)
Three days later....
Mason comes home from school with a certificate.
They accepted his LATE read-a-thon envelope.....
He came in third place out of all the third graders....
winning $50 to spend at the book fair.
I wanted to call the school and tell them to take it back....
that I was TRYING to teach my son a lesson....
and that they just ruined it for me....
BUT he was beaming with pride....
and he DID read a ton....
and I don't ever let my kids buy books at the book fair.....
(because isn't that what librarys are for? FREE books?)
and I DO love him....
and he IS trying to be more responsible....
and he IS trying to be more responsible....
So.....BOOK FAIR HERE WE COME!!

8 comments:
Way to stick it to your mom, Mase! ;) And $50 bucks!!! That is a lot of money!!! Too bad that will only buy like two books and a pencil because those book fairs are sooo dang over priced! ;)
Oh, but the book fair was the best day of the year!! I completely understand though, I would've been a little bugged that they accepted it late. And, your conversation sounds very similar to ones I've had with Spencer...about other things.
Love love love this boy. Go Mas!
He's nine years old. Give the kid a break. Mason, congratulations on your reading. Tell your mom that nanny and papa said that they will match the $50, so now you have $100 to spend at the book fair. Also tell your mom to go sit by herself in the car and listen to the radio and not be so uptight!
yay Mason!! I saw your name in the email!!! way to go!
Also, isn't it buy one get one free soon? sweet!!
totally on your side on this one. And I too use the word freaking. :)
On another note. I know I did say just a few more days.....and just a few days roll into weeks and then months....but soon. Soon. I have issues I know.
I'm with you Chiara. Natural consequences only work if they are allowed to work. Congratulations to Mason for the hard work. Perhaps he could earn the privilege of attending the book fair.;)
Hahaha - I love your comment, Dad.
Post a Comment