Tuesday, October 4, 2011

THE BEARD


The first documented shot of The Beard - 3 months old

It feels weird to be posting about "The Beard."
I kinda feel like it should have its very own blog.
It is THAT monumental in our family's history.
Last February we were asked to be a Ma and Pa on Trek.
Bill instantly declared he wouldn't be cutting his hair,
or shaving his beard until after we got home.
Whateve!" I thought. "A bearded husband for 4 months....
NO BIGGIE!"
I tried to convince him to dye his hair and beard white
so he'd look very Brigham Youngish.....but he refused.



Trek came and went......
and the beard somehow stayed.

The Beard enjoyed the cabin.....
and made us feel a little more "honkey" while
chillin' in the woods.




We just HAD to keep The Beard for our Avett Brothers
concert in July. Bill WILL be Seth Avett in his
next life. He's sure of it!!


I was SURE....100% positive....No questions asked....
The Beard would be gone for my birthday present.
BUT, I was disappointed. My special day came and went...
and The Beard stayed.

I'm pretty sure I'll be divorced over publishing this picture....
But this is MY blog and no other picture has brought me more
happiness and laughter than this one.
(I would re-mention the fact that I didn't get the birthday present I wanted..... but I don't hold grudges....)
So....it'll be worth it! Thank you Marley for your sweet photography skills. Please enjoy:

hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

And here's to the best fake sleeping picture E.V.E.R!


Another good excuse popped up.
A "modeling" job.
Our friend just NEEDED this beard to be in his
photo/video shoot for his new company.
And so....it lingered a little longer for the shoot.
(check out The Color Run and sign up for a race!)

and yes....the purple was a tad bit difficult to get out....


Just when I thought there couldn't possibly be any other
reasons the keep The Beard.....a boys trip was planned.
Bill and his 3 besties from Jr. High/High School/College
were getting together in Oregon for a week long
"do boy things and avoid getting nagged at by wives" trip.
The Beard just HAD to make an appearance.

I had high hopes of the Beard coming off in phases during the trip, but it just seemed like he kept running into people that encouraged the d@mn beard growing issue..... and the WHOLE thing came home with him.

When he got home he started talking about Halloween
costumes that NEEDED The Beard.
Really inappropriate costumes I might add. Like,
"I'm going to get a life size cardboard cutout of you made.
Then I'm going to dress like Osama Bin Laden and walk
around hiding behind the cardboard cutout of you!"

One day I finally let him have it....
"So help me if you still have that thing on your face
come the day after Thanksgiving....You WILL be getting
a job as Santa Claus in the mall to make some extra money!
And I'm NOT kidding!!"

Pretty sure that scared him. Because the next day he shaved
2/3rds of his beard. This is what we currently have going on:


This poor little girl has struggled more with this beard than anyone. She CANNOT stand to kiss Bill at all! For months he was denied any sort of kiss....and he had to result in "stealing"
kisses from her....which just made her cry and say, "Dada's MEAN!" She quickly learned that if she held his beard down on both sides of his lips with her little hands....it wasn't half bad...


Phew! I'm exhausted! The sad part is.....
that the whole beard thing isn't even over yet....
but I've already put off this post for months.
I'll be sure to update when I have a cute, clean shaven man.
Stay tuned!!

7 comments:

Jill said...

Ok, that bathroom pic is to die for!! You totally just made my night...although it is an impressive beard, I would be going nuts too! Buy him a crocheted one as a present for cutting his off...it may give him incentive. And yeah there really are crocheted beards out there. Google it!

Thompson Family said...

Wow, just wow. That is one serious beard. It appears to have overstayed it's welcome!!! Those pictures are so so funny, the toilet one is no exception. I actually LOLed and I hardly ever type that. It really happened. thanks for the laugh!

Meg said...

I am laughing so hard right now!!! HA!

P.S. Can I just say how happy I am that I know someone who has now also posted pictures of The Avett Brothers on their blog?!:)

Elizabeth said...

That is quite the beard. Does he shampoo and condition that thing?
You are a good wife for putting up with it that long cause I am with marley and I would have a hard time kissing with all that going on.

Ashley said...

So I saw Bill at church on the Sunday he was in town...sad you weren't there by the way, and then that night at dinner, up at my parents, my sister Heather asked who was that Bin Laden I was talking to? Hahaha! Good Luck with that. I think I would be holding out for a long time if you are catching my drift;)

mIcHeLLe said...

ok. totally made my night. thanks Chiara. I just love you and your 110% real-ness. You truly have a gift for writing..you are so dang funny....
the toilet picture is so funny..and he looks so skinny in it! Love it! Thanks for the big belly laugh :)

Andrea Salvania said...

Funny, funny, funny. I am so glad the beard made a post appearance. It really is quite a lot of facial hair. I'm with Marley, too, and am kind-of glad all Gil can grow is a sad Confucius-style goatee. Thanks for giving me a good laugh.