Sunday, March 16, 2008

WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WITH THIS CHILD?

Early January we set family and indivdual goals for 2008. I let the boys come up with their very own personal goal. Madden had decided to make the goal to read 20 minutes every night. When I went to type up the goals so we could hang them on the fridge I added the word "happily" onto Maddens goal....because his reading time is anything but a happy experience. Since then I have to remind him everynight that he made the goal to read, so he needed to follow through with it. His response is always, "Yeah, but I never said anything about doing it happily! You added that part and that is not fair!" So, I come downstairs one morning after having a "we really need to read your book this morning" conversation and find that our family goals have been altered without my knowledge:

Madden's goal now reads:
Read 20 minutes every night meanly and be bad and say bad words.

Madden has taught me a two very important lessons. #1 - You should never "help" anyone make a goal without their consent. #2 - Making a REALISTIC goal is very important.

6 comments:

Seth Washburn said...

ok--Madden sound like the funniest kid ever! I can't believe that he can read and spell so well! Connor is just barely learning to read sight words and can maybe read a handful of them. ANd you were going to hold the kid back!;)

Seth Washburn said...

(ok so that wasn't really seth--it was me too lazy to log out of his account! :)

colterhaycock said...

I love Madden. I am very proud of his correct use of the word meanly. Well done Madden. Well done!

Sierra said...

That is hillarious! I am impressed with his spelling and penmanship. How old is he now? It's amazing what they will teach us... now ya just gotta figure out where he is learning the bad words. :)

Chiara said...

Colter - of course you'd comment on his gramm skills....only you though!

Sierra - Madden is 5 - he's in kindergarten. He is quite a good reader and writer. He still insists that you spell the word "we" - W-I-I! hahaha As in, "Wii went to the store today!" He is a funny kid! And I'm sure the bad words come from me, his uncles, and his own little naughty brain! ;)-

Cambry said...

Chiara, thanks for loaning us your adorable shoes! They made Oliver's outfit. Thank you for the diapers, too. Come over any time.

P.S. I always want to "help" make goals for Brent...

Cam