I am continually amazed at how sweet and thoughtful my Mason is. The other day I was actually tempted to tell him to stop being so nice to Madden....but I didn't. Madden has been having major issues with hitting and pinching people lately when he gets mad. We've tried all different kinds of discipline and nothing seems to be working. After one hitting incident I sat him down and talked to him about his consequence next time he choose to hit someone. We decided together that if he hit anyone ONE MORE time he would loose the priviledge to play his new Nintendo D.S. for the rest of the summer.
Not even an hour later he comes running in the house after Mason hitting him. I take Madden aside and tell him his Nintendo D.S. is now mine for the summer and he isn't allowed to play it. Of course he started with the drama and tears and excuses....all of which I totally ignored. A few minutes later Mason comes to me crying....saying, "Mom, please don't take away Madden's D.S. He loves it so much. You can take away my D.S. if you want to...but don't take Madden's. If that ball that I threw didn't hit Madden he wouldn't of gotten mad at me and hit me." I asked him if he meant to throw the ball at Madden and he said, "No, it was an accident....but still....it was ALL my fault! Please just take away my D.S. If you don't take it away I'm just not going to play it this whole summer!"
Now I'm thinking to myself and WANTING to say to him, "Go play your D.S. right NOW and make sure Madden is watching!! Why are you being so nice to him? He is NEVER nice to you! I just don't get it!" But instead I say to him, "I'm so proud of you for being so nice and thoughtful to your brother. But he made a choice and with that choice comes a consequence. He hit you and so he is going to loose his D.S. for the summer. I'm sorry that upsets you." He walked away saying something like...."FINE, but I'm not going to play mine either!" Where did he come from? I'm pretty sure he didn't learn to be nice like that from me or Bill!! :)
10 years ago
7 comments:
He so didn't learn to be nice from you! Just kidding! He is so sweet. Can he come and teach some people that I live with. I think that children who were born in 2002 are their own breed.
ok, so the only person you are punishing by taking away the DS is YOU!!!! I don't know what I would do without the DS to make my boys quiet sometimes...heehee.....j/k...
That is so sweet!! I'm not so sure how you are going to survive with this punishment though!!
This is exactly how I picture Brady and Bridger as little kids. Bridger of course being the hitter and pincher. You have such a cute little family!!
Brittany
That is quite adorable. And good for you if you can stick to that for the whole summer. Good job!
What a cutie pie. I love it when kids remind us about forgiveness and love. What a compassionate little guy. Isn't it fun to learn the character and uniqueness of our kids? Sometimes it's a dream, sometimes it's nightmare. May you have more sweet dreams than nightmares. :)
He learned it from his uncle Mike.
Post a Comment