Friday, October 2, 2009

Pinewood Derby

I hate anything that has to do with winners and losers. WHY? Why is such a thing necessary. I don't care if I'm playing or watching.....I don't care WHAT I'm watching, or WHO I'm watching......I always want to shed a few tears for the losers. I don't have a competitive bone in my body. I think determining a "winner" and a "loser" is just flat out wrong.

But anyhow, not that I have vented.....

Mason just had his very first pinewood derby. And like the Rain Gutter Regatta....he had a permanent grin on his face the whole time. Cheered everyone on. Soaked in all the excitement....and seemed to careless if he won or lost. My kind of kid I tell you!!

When he first started making his car Bill told him there are 2 kinds of cars you could make. You could focus on making a fast car or a good looking car. Mason chose FAST!! They worked hard, had fun, and make a sweet car!


Mason's car did not win. It was up there...but it wasn't the winner. However, he DID win the "BEST IN SHOW" award! All night he kept saying, "Mom, how funny is that? I wanted my car to be the fastest, but instead I won the best looking without even trying.
That is just so funny!
This was the best night ever!"

This kid reminds me about the importance of having a good attitude and looking for the best in every situation. I am so glad he is mine.

5 comments:

Tiffany W. said...

I think maybe you can't stand watching anything with loosers and winners because you are a little TOO competitive! You care a little TOO much! ;)

And by the way... I was going to say that is one sweet looking ride! That is made out of a piece of wood?? I have never seen a pine wood derby car look so cool in my whole life! Seriously... I am in awe!

Caddy Haycock said...

How in the world after merely racing cars did this boy get so sweaty?! Love Maso's sweet attitude about everything and towards everyone.

Mr. Haycock, Sir said...

Sweet car! I'm sure Mason made this car on his own because I know that fathers are just supposed to supervise and not do! Way to go Mason!

Scarcy Family said...

I totally agree with you on the whole "winner/loser" thing. It really sucks! There's got to be a better way, you know?

marvalyn said...

Oh yes, Pine wood Derby time- We have pictures of Masons' Dad and Uncle Mike and Uncle Tim and the Cars-Very good work Mason!