Monday, May 11, 2009

Cody's Song


-Cody and Otis at the cabin last year-

It was 2 months ago today that I lost my brother Cody. Everyone says that time helps heal the pain. I wonder when that is actually going to happen, because for now time just seems to make it worse. There is a hole....and it aches. I miss him like crazy!
My boys miss him.
The tears still come far too easily.

Cody never sought attention. He didn't like to be in the spotlight. I remember walking down the halls in High School. When I'd see Cody I'd wave and yell, "Hey Cody!" He HATED it!! He'd duck his head, hide under the bill of his hat that he ALWAYS wore, tried not to smile, shook his head, and just kept walking. If you were really lucky and Cody really liked you, you could get a nod of the head in return. I never got one of those....and that's okay. I maybe said hi a little more obnoxiously than I should have....just because I knew he hated it! ;) I have to smile thinking about Cody right now. He probably hates all this attention he's gotten the past two months. If he knew I had a blog post just about HIM he'd be so mad!

My sister Curry found this song by Vince Gill titled "Go Rest High On That Mountain." Our family has now re-named this as "Cody's Song." I listen to it at least once a day. The words couldn't be more perfect. When our family is ready we will go spread Cody's ashes in the Uinta Mountains.....and we will play THIS SONG.
We love you Cody!


Bill, Chiara & Cody at the Oregon Coast - March 1996

13 comments:

Bill said...

Not sure which makes me laugh more...
1 - Me, minus 60 lbs and clean shaven
-OR-
2 - Denim siblings. w00t w00t

Elizabeth said...

Did I take that picture? I remember we went to the beach together. I was so excited to go with Cody. I heard an Aerosmith song the other day when I was in the car and it so made me think of him.

Jill said...

Hahaha - Bill is looking good... and yes... the full denim outfits Cody and Chiara have on are awesome. hahaha

Jill said...

Whoops - that was by me (Colter)... not Jill

Jen said...

Chiara, So sorry you lost your brother... I lost one of my brothers just over a year ago now... I still think about him and miss him every day...I just can't beleive he is gone. I think it is great that you post about him, I did the same even though my bro would have hated the attention also. But what are sisters for :)

I love your blog... You are so hilarious and honest and your kids are adorable.

Jen McNees

Mike and Chelsi said...

love you and your family chiara!! and happy mothers day!!

Tiffany W. said...

I actually came across a couple photos of Cody the other day. I pulled them out to send them to you. They were not the photos I was looking for of him... I have searched my house high and low for those ones... but they are Cody and you can't go wrong with that! :)

Jenn said...

I keep hearing that "time heals the pain" too .. still working on that here. However, remembering and talking and hearing about others working on it helps me .. so I love reading your posts about your Brother! Love ya!

Cambry said...

Look at you three little rascals! You're babies! Time heals and dulls the pain eventually. But, in my experience, it gets worse before it gets better. For me,the first year was gruesome. Year three did't hurt as bad....But you take it a day at a time. Your family is doing a terrific job compiling memories and pictures-- a wonderful way to keep the little kids (and everyone) from forgeting your precious time together. It's so hard. I'm truly sorry. Sending my love and tender feelings to your fam. xo

Mr. Haycock, Sir said...

Chiara, thanks for keeping the memory of Cody alive. I love reading your comments. I sure miss my boy! Love Dad

Julie said...

That song is beautiful. What a wonderful way to remember Cody. You guys are always in our prayers. We love you!

theolsonfamily said...

Look at those young lads! Bill looks anorexic! you are all too cute!

Courtney Sargent said...

I have to agree, the matching denim is TOPS! Thanks for the posts about Cody. I think of him often... LOVE to all of your awsome family!