Sunday, May 10, 2009

I don't like Mother's Day.....

(GASP)

I know, I know...but let me explain. Ever since I can remember I couldn't wait to be a mom. It was all I ever remember REALLY wanting. I was the best darn mom to my Cabbage Patch Dolls. I sang to them, talked softly to them, danced with them, slept with them, kept them safe from Cabbage Jack, and spent hours dressing and feeding them. In fact, I remember feeling sad for all those poor dolls that lived with other little girls...for I knew they were not loved and taken care of as well as my dolls were. I played with my dolls well beyond the appropriate years. I remember coming home from JR. HIGH and closing the door of my room and pulling out my dolls for a little "mom time."

Growing up I was the oldest of 8 kids (I know, I do have an older brother....but when I was babysitting and I'd "discipline" him and tell him to go to his room and he'd actually do it....I'm going to steal the "oldest sibling card" from him!) One phrase that I can remember my mom using all the time was, "Chiara is my right arm, I couldn't survive without her!" I had a lot of responsibility at a young age.....and I loved it. I loved taking care of my younger siblings. I loved "being in charge" and feeling needed. My siblings didn't necessarily like the fact that they had TWO moms....I remember when they'd get upset with me they'd call me "Mother Theresa"....or when I'd tell them to do something, they'd say, "You are not my mom!! You think you are Mother Theresa!" Too bad it wasn't until they were MUCH older did they realize that Mother Theresa was a gentle, kindhearted soul....not some raving lunatic pretending to be a mom!! :)-

In high school my graduating class voted me "Most likely to have 10 kids." I even got a pack of diapers at our graduation breakfast. (Hummm, I wonder what I ever did with those...they'd sure come in handy right about now....)

In College a boyfriend told me that he knew I would be a fabulous mom....but did wonder what kind of wife I would be....because he could see me giving 110% to my kids and not having much left to give to my husband.....

So you see, I was destined to be a mom. And now....I AM a mom. With four kids. And I'm not the kind of mom I thought I was going to be. I had dreams. I was supposed to be THE BEST. I wasn't going to be one of those moms that yelled at her kids in the grocery store...or worse, just ignore them and let them scream. Guess what, I do both. I wasn't going to be the kind of mom who's inside of her car looked like it belonged in the local land fill. Guess what, mine does. I wasn't going to be the kind of mom that wished she had a nanny. Guess what, I do.
The list goes on.....

So, back to Mother's Day. I think I don't like Mother's Day because it makes me feel guilty. Not that I think I'm a bad mom....because I know I'm not. I bust my butt day in and day out and I do the best I can. Maybe I feel this way today because I watched Mason and Madden sing a song about moms in church....something about how "my mom is the best...she is more patient than the rest. She is smart and kind and something, something, something...." But Madden was glaring at me and had this evil/mad look on his face...because moments before I had taken his markers away and wouldn't let him color anymore because he got marker on his pants, shirt, and hands....and as he walked past me to go sing he says, "You are the meanest mom ever!" Mason was rolling his eyes while he sang. He refused to do any of the actions. He was mad at me because moments before I made him switch seats on the pew and sit by me because he was bugging his brothers. I think he even mumbled the "h" word....
as in "I hate you."

And then there was Macks. I bathed him, lotioned him, put his clothes on (including buttoning up a onesie), and took him to church. An hour and a half into church he walks up to me with wet pants. I was sure he had sat in something, or dumped his sippie cup out all over himself.....so I run home to change him. And that is when I realize....that his crazy, out of control mother forgot to put a diaper on him. Yes folks, you heard me right...
Don't ask me how I managed this one, because I'm still totally baffled by it. But I took my not quite 2 year old son to church without a diaper on. I know i'm the queen of multi-tasking, but what in the world was I doing when I got him dressed?!?!

I look at my kids and I wouldn't trade what I do for anything. I really do love being a mom, I'm just not as good at it as I always thought I would be. Maybe I'm too hard on myself....or maybe I had unrealistic expectations about what motherhood was all about.....or maybe I just need some sleep....either way, I'm glad this day is over!

17 comments:

Somer said...

So that's what happened. I think you are way too hard on yourself. We all have our moments and if the worst thing you forgot was a diaper, you're doing great. Just think next Sunday you'll have Bill to blame for missing diapers.

Jill said...

Chiara you definitely are too hard on yourself. You are an awesome mom! I see things you do/say to your kids and think 'She's awesome, I want to be like that with my kids.' I didn't know about you with the Cabbage Patch Dolls though (Jr High?...), so I'm happy to know something new about you! ha ha love ya :)

Elizabeth said...

So that is your pew from now on! :) Maybe I should do that with Cameron and then we would actually get to sit in a pew.

Tiffany W. said...

I'm listening to Dallin scream bloody murder as I read your blog entry, does that make me a bad mom? Probably. :) You are a fabulous mom! After all, you made my slide show! ;) but if i do recall... one of the other names you had from your siblings other than "mother Tereasa" was "Raunch"! hahha.:) ok, so i am not helping. but you are one of the best moms ever... to real life kids anyway! Take it from me, dolls are a completely unrealistic interprtation for kids... they don't scream, hit, talk back, draw on your walls, puke, spill red juice on your white carpet... the list goes on! So feel better about your self... you are one of the most amazing women in my life and for that I am forever grateful! For what it is worth... Mother Tereasa never had anything on you. the woman never even had kids!!! Happy MOther's day to a real life "Mother" Tereasa... and I mean that in a good way! I LOVE YOU!

Megan said...

Chiara, you took the words right out of my mouth. I hate mother's day for the same reasons! But I'm sure no matter how much we screw things up, our kids will look at us the same way we look at our moms...with such admiration.

Jennie Brown Stephens said...

It scares me when I see perfectly behaved kids at the store. Its just not normal. Chaos to me, is life. WIth out it, I would be so bored. It gives me something to do! yes, my car also look like a land fill at times, my house looks like it took a ride in the biggest tornado ever, my kids have dirty faces, dirty hands, and wipe it all over me...BUT, I have happy kids. My kids tell me "-ooh you are so mean" one minute, and then "can I give you a kiss" 10 mins later. I love love love being a mom. even if it means doing 8 loads of wash a day, endless pit of dishes in the sink, pudding kisses on my shirt and pants......2 kids in diapers, making 3 different lunches and just DOING it with out complaining. Mothers day reminds me of what I am lacking as a mom,but also reminds me that I am SO blessed to have children. Sometimes I take that for granted. Your kids are awesome, and you are a awesome mom!

Cailey & Brady said...

warry you are an amazing mom! seriously i love you and look up to you so much i wish one day i can be half the mom and wife you are! however i doubt this will happen! i love you and don't ever forget how amazing you are and how much your seven other siblings look up to you!

Caddy Haycock said...

War! After our mom, you are the most amazing mom ever. I am constantly amazed with your patience towards you kids (and husband ;)just kiddin!). You are such a fun and sweet mom and your kids are extremely lucky! I think you are just way too hard on yourself. I think you're incredible!

Katie Shelley said...

Chiara-
I have a feeling that you are probably the best mom ever! Your kids are so lucky to have you. Motherhood is hard and everyday I wake up and hope that I can make it through the day. I use to think that I was a good mom but then my son turned 2 and I realized that I have a bad temper! I think my children have taught me more than all my years of schooling ever did.


P.S. I am in town so lets get together! I would love to see you!

Ashley said...

I love it! You got me laughing.

Brian and Marnae Powell Family said...

Chiara, you really are funny and a good writer! You should probably write a book and then you could be famous and go on the today show and all that! You could totally "represent" all of us moms out there. I really do like reading your blog, it's one of the only ones I follow with all my spare time. I don't know, I think it is cause I relate to so much of it. I am just not good at expressing it all but you are.

Mike and Chelsi said...

oh my goodness i love that, seriously it so sounds like something my older sister would do with her kid! and you are for sure too hard on yourself! you have the most adorable kids and they are so lucky to have you as their mother!

Curry said...

Chiara-

You are right on... You definately need to work on your mothering skills... And I had nightmares last night remembering your "Mother Theresa" days. All the rest of you need to stop telling her she is too hard on herself. :) Love you

Kelli said...

Happy Mother's Day anyways!!! Whatever about not being a fantastic mom. The bad days are what make the good ones even better!

slymer said...

Ok- that is awesome! Guess what girl? You have 4 KIDS now... things will be at least this crazy until Marley is one.. It just takes awhile to come up with a system that incorporates ALL of them adequately... Have you ever taken the Color Code Personality Test? Those with Blue personalities HATE mother's day! Funny. I spent all of Sacrament out in the Foyer with Liam.. It never quite measures up... You are a fabulous mom- plus you always LOOK GOOD doing it!! Which is even harder to do! :)

Aislinn said...

oh we so live the same life. That diaper story is too too funny.

Tiffany W. said...

Oh my! I just read Curry's comment and it made me laugh so hard! Gotta love your family!!!