I love how schools have these evil ways to trick kids into tricking their parents to spend money.....book orders, Santa's workshop, book fairs, carnivals, frozen cookie dough fundraisers, wrapping paper fundraisers, chocolate fundraisers....did I mention fundraisers?!?
I'd rather they just ask me to pull out my check book and write them a fat one the first day of school. Does that make me lazy? Probably.
Oh well....
I tried really hard to destroy all evidence, reminders, fliers, etc. that the school was having a big carnival. In fact, the day before it took place my boys had completely forgotten. I was just about to give myself a point for being such an awesome mom.....and then Mason's wonderful teacher (and she really IS wonderful....maybe a little too "on top of things" for my liking) had to go and blow it for me by verbally reminding the kids the DAY OF the carnival. What ever happened to the typed out reminders that the kids don't pay attention to, and that the parents sneakily just throw away?!?!
Anyhow, to avoid the whiny, ear piercing "but WWWHHHHHYYYYY?" question one more time, we went to the dang carnival.
My children ran around and contributed to the nasty, disgusting-ness of the millions of inflatable slides and bouncy things....while I chatted with all my friends and ate cotton candy....
Oh wait, no I didn't...that would have been too enjoyable. Instead I stood for an hour and 9 minutes (who was counting?) to save my dear, sweet, adorable little darlings a place in line so that they could climb the rock wall.
And 2 minutes after they were harnessed, they had reached the top, had repelled down, and were fighting over who got a drink out of the water bottle first.
I have a good idea....next year, LET'S GO TO THE CARNIVAL!!
3 comments:
And to think that we went to the carnival by CHOICE and contributed cash to a school my boys may never go to. Maybe we're really the crazy ones!
You crack me up! What a great post. I really enjoyed reading it. And you ARE a rockin' mom! Any mom who would stand in line for an hour.....wait, an hour and 9minutes IS awesome. Way to go! Props to you.
I'm with you...I like the checkbook idea...just not at the beginning of the school year when you get hit up for PTA, room mom fund, school portraits, and all the other non-fundraiser things.
Santa's workshop...I can't do it. After seeing what they sell first hand, I'm sorry for those who are supposed to be getting marketing experience, but I told my kids I'd give them $10 at the dollar store to buy gifts. Less expensive and actually...less junky.
However, despite the heat I do like the carnival ever since they cut the price of the wristband by more than half.
Post a Comment